Benton County, Oregon

Making Benton County a Better Place to Live
Printed on Aug 31, 2015 @ 10:40 AM

Benton County Elections – Serving on Your City Council

First, call the city you live in. They can help you learn more about the duties and responsibilities of serving on their board and tell you what positions will appear on the next election ballot.

City of Adair Village (offsite link, opens in new window):
City of Albany (offsite link, opens in new window):
City of Corvallis (offsite link, opens in new window):
City of Monroe (offsite link, opens in new window):
City of Philomath (offsite link, opens in new window):








November 8, 2016 is the next election where voters can choose city council board members. The following is an outline of the steps to remember if you are interested in running for office. In addition, you are always welcome to contact the Benton County Elections Office if you have any questions concerning the election process.

Filing Forms and Manual

Filing forms must be typed or typed information attached to form.

The forms below are fillable pdf files and can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat® Reader, which may be downloaded for free (offsite link, opens in new window) if you do not already have it. You may complete the form on your computer by tabbing through the fields and typing the appropriate information. After completing the form, print it, sign it, and submit it to your city. An original signature is required. These forms can also be obtained at the Elections Office 120 NW 4th St Room 13, Corvallis, OR 97330.

SEL 101 Candidate Filing (offsite link, opens in new window)
Used to file for candidacy. Be sure to mark the box indicating if the candidate will file by paying the $10.00 fee or by collecting signatures. Include both your full legal name and the name as you wish it to appear on the ballot. If there will be no voters' pamphlet for this election, this filing may appear on the Benton County website at

SEL 121 Candidate Signature Sheet - Non Partisan (offsite link, opens in new window)
Used only if the candidate is filing by collecting signatures, a requirement in some cities. Make sure you know how many signatures you will need, that signers are registered voters living in your city limits and that you obtain 10% more signatures than are needed. Remember when filing by petition, forms must be filed with the city in advance of the deadline to give elections officials time to complete the signature verification process by the filing deadline. Please contact your city for timeline.

SEL 338 Petition Submission (offsite link, opens in new window)
Required when submitting signatures for verification.

SEL 150 Withdrawal of Candidacy or Nomination (offsite link, opens in new window)
There is a deadline to withdraw as a candidate. Contact Benton County Elections for more information.

Contribution and Expenditure Filings [Campaign Finance] (offsite link, opens in new window)

Contribution and Expenditure filings are now filed with Secretary of State Office. Please contact the Elections Division at 503-986-1518 or visit their website at (offsite link, opens in new window) for more information.

County Voters' Pamphlet
First, determine if there will be a voters' pamphlet produced for this election. This publication is included in ballot envelopes, or delivered one per household. It will also appear on the Benton County Elections website. Fees charged are determined by the size of the district the candidate is running for. Fill out the forms and file them with the Benton County Elections Office by the deadline listed on the form.

If there is no County Voters' Pamphlet for this election, candidate's information will appear in the Benton County Elections website.