Benton County, Oregon

Making Benton County a Better Place to Live
Printed on Aug 29, 2015 @ 5:35 AM

Benton County Environmental Health – Construction & Air Quality FAQ

Common Questions about Construction

Q: Can I still install my septic system after the construction season?

A: That may be possible. It all depends on the weather and soil conditions on your lot. Authorization by Environmental Health for installation other than during the regular construction season (May 1st to October 1st) are made on a case-by-case basis.


Q: I've missed the regular construction season. Can I still apply for an installation permit?

A: Yes. The permit will be good for one year. There may be some advantage for you to obtain your permit now so that you can begin lining up an installer. That way you'll be at the top of the installer's list when the nice weather finally comes.


Q: The rain never stops. Its winter. I need to move into my new home now and the sewage system hasn't been installed. Is there anything we can do?

A: Yes. There are some short-term solutions. There are no restrictions on when you can install your septic tank and it can sometimes be used on a short-term basis as a holding tank. However, depending on the size of your family and your water consumption, you may have to have your tank pumped twice or more per month. Each pumping could cost you in the neighborhood of $200 (pricing of winter 2003). Authorizations for temporary holding tanks are made by the Environmental Health Division on a case-by-case basis, requires several forms, and should not be relied upon for planning purposes.


Q: How can I keep from getting caught by the weather?

A: Plan ahead. Line up an installer as soon as possible. Don't leave details until the last minute.


Common Questions About Indoor Air Quality


Q: Is there a Benton County Indoor Air Quality Program?

A: Benton County does not have an individual Indoor Air Quality Program. However, we do have a Sanitarian with limited expertise in the area of indoor air quality, and s/he can make referrals to more extensive sources of information. Call to talk to an Environmental Health Specialist at 541-766-6841.


Q: What about mold in my house?

A: The toxic mold that you've probably heard about is actually quiet rare in this area. If you are concerned and want to test it, you can hire a private contractor – see your local yellow pages under environmental labs. For information on the Environmental Protection Agency's Indoor Air Quality Program, pertaining to molds, see the online publication: A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home.


More questions? Contact Benton County Environmental Health Division at 541-766-6841.