The County Administrator (CA) is appointed by the Board of Commissioners and is responsible to them for managing County operations. The CA has responsibility and authority to assure County functions are carried out efficiently and effectively:
- Directs and manages department directors, internal business support functions, and assigned staff to assure alignment with Board of Commissioners’ (BOC) priorities; Responsible for all aspects of personnel management (in consultation with the BOC), such as hiring, establishing goals, performance evaluations, corrective actions, and dismissals;
- Explores and evaluates strategic opportunities to improve organizational effectiveness;
- Establishes standards and performance measures for county organizational improvement;
- Facilitates interdepartmental collaboration, integration, and communication;
- Oversees the development and administration of policies, procedures, programs, goals and
- Oversees labor negotiations;
- Advises on and implements Board of Commissioners’ strategic planning, policy and program
- priorities, and objectives.
- Oversees implementation of County-wide strategic planning activities.
Kerby came to Benton County in August 2017 after spending five years as the County Administrator in La Plata County, Colorado. Before becoming county manager there, Kerby held several other jobs in local government in Colorado. He served as city manager of Delta from 2010 to 2012, deputy manager of Douglas County from 2009 to 2010 and manager of Montrose County from 2006 to 2009.
Contact the County Administrator at Joseph.Kerby@co.benton.or.us or (541) 766-6370.