County to release 2019-21 biennium budget April 17
Monday, April 15, 2019
The proposed Benton County budget for the 2019-21 biennium is scheduled to be released on April 17, 2019, and several Budget Committee meetings will follow as part of the process for adopting a financial plan for the period from July 1, 2019, through June 30, 2021.
Oregon Local Budget law requires the proposed budget to be reviewed in public sessions by the Budget Committee, which comprises the three-member Board of Commissioners and three citizen members appointed by the board. The six-member panel will meet with department heads and consider comments from the public.
Following is a tentative schedule of meeting dates and descriptions (all meetings are scheduled in the Benton County Sunset Building, 4077 SW Research Way, in Corvallis):
- 4:00 p.m. on April 17: County budget presentation, non-departmental & Capital Improvement Process overview, public hearing
- 6:30 p.m. on April 17: Library Services County Service District, County department reviews
- 4:00 p.m. on April 23: County department reviews
- 2:00 p.m. on April 29: County department reviews
- 3:00 p.m. on April 30: County department reviews
- 3:30 p.m. on May 8: County department reviews, public hearing, Budget Committee Deliberations, Approve Budget (if ready)
- 3:00 p.m. on May 29: Budget Committee deliberations (if necessary), Approve Budget.
- 3:00 p.m. on May 30: Budget Committee deliberations (if necessary), Approve Budget.
The official meeting notices, including dates and agendas, were published in the Gazette-Times newspaper and the county website at www.co.benton.or.us on April 9, 2019.
A Budget Committee meeting for the Benton County Library Services County Service Districts is scheduled for April 17, 2019. It will likely be the only meeting to review and approve this district’s proposed budget and tax levy. Budget committee meetings for the other county service districts are tentatively scheduled for May 9 and May 21. Official meeting notice of times and locations of the Budget Committee meetings of the other service district budgets operated by the county will be published in late April.
At the end of their review, the Budget Committee approves a budget and sets the maximum property tax rates for each year of the biennium.
A summary of the approved budget then is published and the Board of Commissioners is required to conduct a final public hearing before officially adopting a budget for the new biennium. The Board of Commissioners can modify the budget approved by the Budget Committee within limits, but cannot increase the tax rate set by the Budget Committee.
The Board of Commissioners is tentatively scheduled to conduct the final public hearing and consider the budget for adoption on June 18, 2019.
To view the current county budget visit https://www.co.benton.or.us/budgetoffice/page/benton-county-budget-2019-2021.