Land & Roads
- Natural Areas & Parks Picnic Facility Reservations Locate a park or natural area Find a trail, take a hike Conserving our native habitat Salmonberry Campground Property Information Search Property tax accounts Search for a deed Pay taxes online Appeal property taxes Find property on a map Survey your property Property tax records
- Sustainability Building & Land Use Building Permits & Codes Request an Inspection Code Compliance Septic Systems Planning and Zoning GIS Maps GIS Data Links to Other Maps
- Roads and Utility Services Road closures and delays Request road maintenance Access utility bills Public Transportation Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Sheriff's Office Sheriff's Message Volunteer Opportunities What's Happening Emergency Services Current Information Emergency Alert System Disaster and Hazard Preparedness Search and Rescue Child Support Collection
- Jail Inmate Rosters Inmate Services Criminal prosecution Victim Services Court Calendar Juvenile Services Supervision and accountability Detention Teen Court
- Parole and Probation Mission and programs Sex offender notification Law Enforcement Report a crime Daily activity log Concealed Handgun Licenses Justice System Improvement Program
Health & Family
- COVID-19 Information Public Health Communicable disease reporting Mental Health and Addictions Peer specialists Gambling prevention Tobacco prevention Children and youth programs Adult programs Substance Use Disorder
- Food and Water Safety Restaurants Temporary Food Service Well Testing Septic Systems Community Health Centers Find a physician Dental services Family Planning Developmental Diversity (Disabilities) OSU Extension
- Maternal and Child Health WIC Healthy baby programs Licenses and Certificates Birth Certificates Death Certificates Dog License Marriage License Pay My Medical Bill Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Board of Commissioners BOC Meetings Advisory Committees County Legal Counsel Meeting Agendas and Minutes Licenses and Passports Marriage Licenses Passports Dog Licenses
- Voting Elections & Voting Register to Vote Updates & Absentee Voting Elections Put a measure on the ballot Run for office Precinct maps County News Newsletter News & Announcements Subscribe
- Departments County office locations Department List OSU Extension Business in Benton County County Budget See county RFP opportunities Economic Development Veteran Services
I Want To...
- Work for Benton County Apply for a job Volunteer Pay property taxes online View a tax statement Apply for … Marriage license Dog license Passport Building permit Septic permit Restaurant licenses Find Requests for Proposals
- Vote Elections & Voting Register to vote Updates & Absentee Voting Find an event View county calendar View fairgrounds calendar Make a … Medical/Dental appointment Mental health appointment Medical Bill Payment Locate a county office
- Find out about … County Budget Current road conditions Adopt-a-Road Program No Spray Program Veteran Services See who's in jail Report a crime Reserve a facility County park picnic facility Benton Oaks RV park Salmonberry campground Fairgrounds facility Ride a Bus
Introducing Gary Stockhoff, Public Works Director
In his youth, Gary Stockhoff, the new Benton County Public Works Director, spent his summers tagging along on his father’s land surveying crew. One day he got a whiff of something strong. Gary asked his dad, “What am I smelling? It smells awesome!”
Gary’s dad replied, “They’re paving. It’s asphalt.”
To this day, Gary is still somewhat fond of the smell of asphalt, and credits this early experience as his start on the path of engineering.
A native Oregonian, originally from Klamath Falls and raised in Roseburg, Gary was the eldest of three children.
“I was the typical obedient, eldest son, so as a kid my dad told me, ‘you’re going to go here for 2 years, then there for 2 years, then you’ll get a degree in this, you’ll go to work for the state for 30 years, and then you will retire and be happy.’ So that’s what I did,” said Gary.
After high school, Gary attended Umpqua Community College in Roseburg and then Oregon Institute of Technology in Klamath Falls. His first two jobs out of college were working for state government, first in Portland, working for Oregon Department of Transportation, and then in Carson City working for the Nevada Department of Transportation.
After working for two Departments of Transportation, Gary took a break from the public sector and sold health and life insurance for two years. He even delivered pizzas when his wife worked nights at Straw City Pizza, a local pizza place in Carson City. During this time he developed strong presentation and networking skills, and discovered he loved working with people because he found it to be so rewarding.
After a few years, he returned to engineering when he took a position with a small city in California.
“When I went to work in California, I thought ‘okay, this is fun’ because I had contact with the public—that’s what I really like city and county government. Sometimes with larger government agencies, you lose contact with the people you’re serving,” said Gary.
He’s been with cities and counties ever since, most recently with Washington County, Oregon. In his first 90 days as the Public Works Director for Benton County, he says his return to a smaller community in Oregon feels like he’s coming home.
“Benton County is a great place to be. I’m thoroughly enjoying getting to know all of the folks in the department.”
“As the baby boomers retire, we have Gen Xers and millennials making up the workforce now. How we do business is changing. Everything from the expectations of our clients to how information flows inside the organization—it’s a different world that we live in and it’s exciting to be here during this generational change,” said Gary.
Gary and his wife will be relocating to Lebanon, and celebrated their 39th wedding anniversary. They have six kids, and just learned that their 17th grandbaby is on the way.
Join us in welcoming Gary and his family to Benton County.