Community Rating System & Flood Insurance Discount
Community Rating System
Benton County participates in a program called the Community Rating System (CRS) which is part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP’s Community Rating System provides discounts on flood insurance premiums to property owners in communities that establish floodplain management programs that go beyond national minimum requirements. CRS communities receive credit towards premium reductions for floodplain management programs that:
- Protect public health and safety;
- Reduce the risk of flood-related hazards, damage, and erosion;
- Prevent increases in flood damage due to new construction;
- Encourage and incorporate measures that protect natural and beneficial floodplain functions;
- Preserve open space areas in and around floodplains;
- Inform community residents and agencies of floodplain hazards and benefits;
- Encourage acquisition of flood-prone properties and relocation of structures to reduce the risk of flooding;
- Facilitate accurate insurance rating; and
- Promote the awareness of flood insurance.
Flood Insurance Discount
Benton County is one of only seven communities to maintain a CRS Class 7 designation in Oregon. Rural Benton County residents have enjoyed a discount on their flood insurance premiums for the past 20 years due to the county’s continued floodplain program implementation. Statewide only eight government agencies – including the cities of Albany, Central Point, Corvallis, Cottage Grove, Medford, Portland, and Salem, as well as Marion County – have lower ratings (ranging from Class 5 to Class 6).
Benton County's current Class 7 designation authorizes an automatic 15% discount for flood insurance premiums for Benton County property owners. Visit floodsmart.gov for additional flood insurance information and contact your insurance agent today to make sure your flood insurance policy is current. Remember to ask your agent about FEMA’s redesigned flood insurance program Risk Rating 2.0.