Solid Waste Process Work Group
"Benton County Talks Trash"
Revised April 11, 2023
On Tuesday July 19, 2022, the Benton County Board of Commissioners heard the results of a Situational Assessment focused on solid waste and disposal, including Coffin Butte landfill.
An independent third-party affiliated with Oregon Consensus presented the situation assessment. For a copy of the written report, please click HERE.
The assessment includes a recommendation for the Board of Commissioners to create a temporary workgroup for making recommendations to the Board regarding specific solid waste topics. During a meeting on July 26, 2022, the Board decided to move forward with the process of convening this work group.
Use the link below to access written public comments:
- Public Comment Link (link expires 4/23/23)
- Password: Benton1!
Various stakeholders participated in the work group, including eight members of the public to be appointed by the Board of Commissioners.
- Charter and Bylaws - Includes tentative meeting schedule outline and membership.
- BCTT Draft Workplan Calendar - Update 3/29/23
- Meeting #1: September 8, 2022 (Thursday), 2:30pm-7:00pm
- Meeting #2: September 15, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:00pm
- Landfill Tour: September 24, 2022 (Saturday), 10:00am- 12:00pm
- Neighborhood Tour: October 1, 2022 (Saturday), 10:00am- 12:15pm
- Meeting #3: October 6, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #4: October 27, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #5 & Open House: November 17, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #6: December 15, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #7: January 19, 2023 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #8: February 23, 2023 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #9: March 16, 2023 (Thursday), 1:30pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #10: March 23, 2023 (Thursday), 1:30pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #11: April 3, 2023 (Monday), 1:30pm-7:30pm
These subcommittees met independent from the Workgroup. Please click on a link below to access information for each subcommittee.
- A.1. Landfill Size/Capacity/Longevity
- C.1. Sustainable Materials Management Plan (SMMP)
- A.2. Past Land Use Application Conditions
- A.3. Legal Issues and B.1. Land Use Review
- E.1. Community Education
- Draft #1 - 1/3/23 Rough Draft
- Draft #2
- Draft #3 - The DRAFT #3 Work Group Report can be downloaded in either PDF or Word Document format from the following links:
- PDF Format
- Word Format (Link expires 2/24/23; Do to the large file size, this link goes to a file-sharing platform, requiring the password below)
- Password: Benton1!
- Word Document format is typically the best option for providing comments and edits.
- History Document as of 1/31/23 at 11am (Word Document Download)
- Planning Commission and SWAC/DSAC Feedback:
- SWAC/DSAC Chair Interpretation of Individual Member Feedback on Draft #3
- Planning Commissioner's Informal Discussion Comments on Draft Three - Updated 2/15/23
- Draft #4 - The DRAFT #4 Findings and Recommendations can be downloaded in either PDF or Word Document format from the following links:
- Draft #5 - Draft #5 contains the body of the report and Findings and Recommendations, but without appendices.
- Documents Created by Individual Work Group Members
- Parmigiani - 9/3/22
- Geier - 9/3/22 - History
- Geier - 9/4/22 - Site Description
- Pitera - 9/6/22
- Whitcombe - 9/12/22
- Pitera - 9/12/22
- Pitera - 9/21/22 - Example Explanatory Cartoon of a Landfill
- Deuel - 9/21/22 - SWAC Work Group Recommendation
- Popp - 9/28/22 - Coffin Butte historical figures over time
- Pitera - 9/29/22 - Coffin Butte Landfill Tour Notes
- Geier - 10/2/22 - Neighborhood Tour Guide
- Pitera - 10/4/22 - Neighborhood Tour Notes
- Geier - 10/6/22 - Recycle Office Tower Article
- Geier - 10/11/22 - BCTT Neighborhood Tour Questions
- Pitera - 10/15/22 - Suggested Additions to Common Understandings
- Fuller - 10/26/22 - Coffin Butte Landfill "Burn Dump" Clean Closure Work Plan
- Rough - 10/28/22 - Landfill Cell Drawing
- BCTT Tours Q&A - 10/30/22
- Fuller - 11/3/22 - Regional Disposal Site Statutes
- Fuller - 11/14/22 - DEQ Permits for the Coffin Butte Landfill
- Popp - 12/8/22 - Spreadsheets regarding Coffin Butte Waste Stream over time and county contributions
- Documents Created by the General Public
- Eklund - 9/8/22 - Common Understandings
- Eklund - 9/8/22 - Futures Workshop
- Gilbert - 9/11/22
- Nietfeld - 9/14/22
- Republic Services - 9/14/22 - Coffin Butte Landfill Fact Sheets
- Gilbert - 9/30/22 - Synchronization of Solid Waste Disposal and Alternative Path Forward
- Gilbert - 10/3/22 - Relative Path Forward
- Eklund - 10/6/22 - Common Understandings
- Gilbert - 10/9/22 - Landfill Service Life, Size, Capacity, Longevity
- Nietfeld - 10/24/22 - Memo to Subcommittee A1
- Palmer 10/25/22 - Landfill Liability Article
- Gilbert - 10/31/22 - Landfill Service Life, Size, Capacity, Longevity Memo to A.1. for 11/7 Meeting
- Gilbert - 11/6/22 - Update Draft BCTT Sub-Committee A1 Size Cap Longevity
- Nietfeld - 11/8/22 - Information for A.1 Subcommittee meeting of 9 Nov. 2022
- Nietfeld - 11/27/22 - Landfill CUP Process Suggestions
For more information on Oregon Consensus and the third-party facilitation team, please visit Institute for Conflict Management – Oregon Consensus.