Preventing waste is just as important as proper disposal of waste. We can stop waste before creating it. Materials have carbon footprints before they make it to their “end-of-life”, and to reduce that impact on our environment, here are some tips:
- Before buying, think “do I need this item?”
- Rent items that you might not need often.
- Prioritize shopping for pre-owned products whenever possible.
- Shop locally, reducing shipping and packaging waste.
- Buy high quality products which will last a long time and can be repaired.
- Look for package-free or reduced packaging options.
- Repair and re-use items instead of discarding.
- Donate usable items instead of discarding.
Benton County’s Materials Management program aims to help our communities prevent waste before it occurs. Watch this video from DEQ to learn more.
Waste Prevention Resources:
- Check out Useful Items from Corvallis-Benton County Public Library - Library of Things
- Reduce paper consumption by reducing Junk Mail – Helpful Resource
- To find locations to donate, repair, or recycle - Searchable Waste Prevention Directory
- Corvallis Sustainability Coalition
- Refillable Glass Bottles – Support refillable products when you shop
- OSU Virtual Repair Fair - DIY Reuse and Repair Demo Videos
For more information on local Waste Prevention go to: