Physical Distancing Indoor Options
Monday, April 13, 2020
Updated 5/6/20, 4:45pm
Extended school cancellations, the Stay at Home Order and recommendations from Oregon Governor Kate Brown around physical distancing can be stressful for families. Here are a few things you may want to know more about.
The following include educational and entertaining online options available for families:
Find comfort in the enduring past
May is Historic Preservation Month in Benton County and we encourage people to cherish our history as lasting examples that our legacy will endure beyond the challenges and distress of current times.
- Programs held during Preservation Month will be limited to solo-oriented events and web-based, informative experiences that will offer education and entertainment. Historic Preservation Month is presented by the Benton County & City of Corvallis Historic Resources Commissions & PreservationWORKS.
- This year we will make available scavenger hunts, video tours and digital versions of self guided tour pamphlets. Please check the following websites for all information regarding this year's events. Items may be added during the month, so please keep checking back in to enjoy all that we have to offer at www.corvallisoregon.gov/historic and www.co.benton.or.us/hrc.
- Enjoy the following tours at your home:
- Franklin School Neighborhood and Tree Walking Tour
- Downtown Sidewalk Marker Walking Tour
- Historic Downtown Corvallis walking Tour
- Rayburn Addition Walking Tour
- North Central Park Walking Tour
- Benton County Courthouse Tour
Explore nature online in the Willamette Valley
- Study Mid-Willamette Valley trails, supported by The Right Trail.
- Review online events ranging from Oregon agriculture to youth outreach and education offered by Oregon State University Extension Service.
- Learn about animals, livestock and commercial fisheries from Oregon State University.
Discover nature through cameras and video
- Observe bobcats, squirrels, foxes, river otters as they are released back into nature, by Chintimini Wildlife Center.
- Gaze at sharks, seabirds, or sea otters from the Oregon Coast Aquarium.
- Go to the Oregon Zoo.
- Watch whales as they migrate past Depoe Bay.
- Pacific Northwest wildlife stories from the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in Oregon and Washington:
- Snowy Plover's hatchlings at BLM managed beaches: http://ow.ly/3lx850zmAy9
- Giant Pacific octopus in Yaquina tide pools: http://ow.ly/E24g50zmAaS
- Bald eagle rescue, release outside Eugene: http://ow.ly/jgqa50yKsFW
- Sea lion rescue at Yaquina Head: http://ow.ly/9rvs50yH4aW
- Bighorn sheep relocated: http://ow.ly/ExbM50yAY3a
- Using satellites to study Pacific fishers: http://bit.ly/2KVDgQ8
- Epic life story of a coho salmon: http://ow.ly/NItY50yrGRM
- #360video with Oregon Zoo river otters: http://ow.ly/8YDL50yAZre
- Gray whale feeds near Yaquina Head rocks: http://ow.ly/NlBV50xCkNr
- BLM firefighters save endangered pygmy rabbits: https://goo.gl/E5vTas
- Steelhead recovery in the Sandy River Basin: https://goo.gl/VgEZw3
- Sage grouse GPS in southern Oregon: https://goo.gl/AyrxPy
- Freshwater mussels found in the Molalla River: http://bit.ly/2Xms18q
- Underwater #360video with a wolf eel: http://ow.ly/EGYU50yAZrJ
- Oregon minnow removed from endangered list: http://bit.ly/2kGRiv8
- Counting sage grouse at dawn: https://goo.gl/jUiOPH
- Oregon Coast tide pools, via #360video: https://youtu.be/1cm8f53qFXs
- BLM PNW wildlife album: http://ow.ly/fhom50zeXsw
- Follow along and sign up for stay at home storytime at the Monroe Community Library.
- Find ebooks, audiobooks, films and more from the Corvallis-Benton Library.
- Join a townhall to support and connect with local businesses at Let's Keep Connected.
- Keep up with arts and entertainment at the Majestic Theatre.
- Sing or read with a law enforcement officer.
Additional online resources
- Crazy about athletics? Check out Beavers Edge athletic forum.
- Join a community bear scavenger hunt.
- Throw a birthday parade party.
- Get moving at home with the American Heart Association.
- Stay well in Corvallis with backyard activity guides, participate in earth day activities, enjoy a yoga class and more!
- Sign up for an online class at local college or university: Linn-Benton Community College, Oregon State University, Western Oregon University.
- Tune in to YouTubeStayHome activities or YouTubeKids.
- Download free online programs offered by Zoom and HouseParty to gather with friends and family.