Food Handler Training

All food service works in the State of Oregon are required to have a valid food handler permit issued by an Oregon county health department.

Food Handler Card

All food service workers are required to have a valid food handler permit. This permit, called a Food Worker Card is valid anywhere in Oregon for three years. You need to:

  • Obtain and study the Food Handler booklet. You can download an English, Spanish,Chinese, Korean, Russian, or Vietnamese version of the booklet, check it out from the library, or come by our office for a copy.
  • Take a Food Handler Training and Testing. You may do this online or attend one of our classes in person at Benton County Environmental Health office.

Food Handler Card Fee

The cost of the Food Worker’s Card is $10.00. There is no charge for attending the class or taking the test, only for issuing the official card. Upon payment, the card is issued the same day as the test.

Food Handler Class Schedule

Food Handler Training and Testing is available online. However, you can also attend one of our classes in person at the Benton County Environmental Health located at the Benton County Sunset building.

Click here for testing online

English: 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Spanish: Every Friday at 1:30 p.m.
Classes are held at: Sunset Building, 4077 SW Research Way, Corvallis OR 97333

Please arrive five minutes before the scheduled class if you wish to attend.

Upon request, the written test is available in the following languages: Vietnamese, Russian, Chinese, and Korean. The video for the scheduled classes are shown in English or Spanish; however, you may take the test in other language – please let us know at the front desk before class begins.