Gambling Addiction Services
For most people, gambling is a form of recreation, pleasurable though not often profitable. For some, however, the pleasure of gambling has spiraled out of control. It has become a serious problem that is similar to an addiction to alcohol or other drugs. A person with a gambling disorder can't stop – even when gambling becomes destructive.
Benton County Problem Gambling Prevention Program at 541-766-6247 to request prevention or outreach services or resources.
Problem Gambling Help Line at 1-877-MY-LIMIT (1-877-695-4648)
Warning Signs of a Gambling Problem
- Preoccupied with gambling
- Secretive about gambling habits, and defensive when confronted
- Trying unsuccessfully to control, cut back, or stop gambling
- Bragging about gambling, exaggerating wins and minimizing losses
- Restless and irritable when not gambling
- Gambling to "feel better"
- Borrowing money for gambling
- Lying to hide time spent gambling or unpaid debt
- Committing crimes to finance gambling
- Frequent unexplained absences
- Chasing losses (gambling to win back losses)
- Losing work time because of gambling
- Doing something illegal to get money for gambling
- Jeopardizing a significant relationship or job by gambling
- Relying on others to bail him or her out to relieve a desperate financial situation caused by gambling
In Oregon, help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for anyone who is worried about their gambling, and for concerned family members. Whether you want to be referred to a free treatment program, want immediate counseling or just want someone to talk to about how gambling is affecting you or someone you know, call the Problem Gambling Help Line at 1-877-MY-LIMIT (1-877-695-4648) or chat online with a certified gambling counselor at www.1877mylimit.org (Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.). Trained professionals are there 24/7 to help. Treatment is free, confidential, and works.
Gambling Addiction Programs
GEAR (Gambling Evaluation and Reduction)
A confidential, educational, phone-based program to help participants steer away from potentially harmful gambling patterns – without going to a treatment center. GEAR combines phone consultation with certified counselors, workbook exercises, and referral resources to give participants the tools and motivation to make good choices about if and how much to gamble. There is no charge for GEAR and it is easy to enroll. Simply call these toll-free numbers:
- 1-877-278-6766 (24-hour help line) or
- 1-877-870-0177 (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday, PST)
A qualified advisor will talk to you about your gambling to determine if GEAR is right for you.
Professionally delivered, face-to-face interventions at our agency are provided for the gambler or family member. This free treatment includes assessment, individual treatment planning, one on one counseling and/or case management sessions, group counseling, family involvement (if appropriate), and aftercare planning.
Contact us at Linn/Benton Gambling Treatment 541-967-3819 to schedule an appointment.
Residential Care and Crisis Respite Services
For those whom GEAR or outpatient treatment does not work, crisis-respite or inpatient gambling treatment is available. These interventions are more intensive in that the client resides, either briefly (crisis-respite) or for a longer period of time (residential) in a treatment facility. Individuals utilizing this level of care must be referred from an outpatient gambling treatment program and may be charged a fee.
Preventing Gambling Problems
Our services also include prevention and outreach programs such as:
- community awareness presentations
- exhibit/displays on problem gambling
- classroom presentations
- educational materials, handouts, pamphlets
- consultation to community groups
- information for parents, educators, health professionals, and others
Contact Linn/Benton Gambling Treatment at 541-967-3819 to request prevention or outreach services or resources.