Public Health – Health Promotion And Chronic Disease Prevention
Chronic Disease / Obesity Prevention Initiatives
- Policy initiatives that improve the built environment, and promote active living and access to healthy, fresh affordable food.
- Coordination of Benton County Community Health Assessment (CHA) and Community Health Improvement (CHIP) process.
- Healthy Communities Coalition meets quarterly to monitor community projects and provide input into obesity prevention activities.
- Healthy Kids/Healthy Communities (Crecidendo en Salud) initiative funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to reduce childhood obesity in South Corvallis and the surrounding rural areas.
- Capacitation and leadership development among low-income, minority and rural community members to participate in health policy initiatives.
- Ongoing Living Well with Chronic Conditions/Tomando en su Salud classes offered in both English and Spanish.
Tobacco Control and Prevention
- Policy initiatives that promote expansion of smoke-free spaces, including public buildings, parks and recreational facilities, schools, and all Benton County government worksites.
- Tracking and provision of technical assistance in response to local violations of the Oregon Smoke Free Workplace Law.
- Promotion of the Oregon Tobacco Quit Line and coordination with local primary care providers to ensure referral to tobacco cessation services.
- Healthy Communities Coalition meets quarterly to monitor community projects and provide input into tobacco prevention activities.
Adolescent Health Promotion Program
- Coordination of community efforts to reduce use of alcohol and other drugs by underage youth.
- Substance Abuse Prevention Partnership Coalition and meets quarterly to coordinate community based prevention efforts.
Sexual Health/STD-HIV-Hep C Prevention
- Outreach and health education and counseling for persons at higher risk of HIV/STDs/Hep C
- Rapid HIV testing, counseling and referral to health services based on test results and service needs.
- Syringe Exchange Program to promote use of clean needles and provide safe and appropriate disposal of needles, including drop box located at Benton County Health Department.
- Quarterly meetings of Benton County Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, Gay, Transgender, Questioning (LGBTQ) Health Equity Coalition