Land & Roads
- Natural Areas & Parks Picnic Facility Reservations Locate a park or natural area Find a trail, take a hike Conserving our native habitat Salmonberry Campground Property Information Search Property tax accounts Search for a deed Pay taxes online Appeal property taxes Find property on a map Survey your property Property tax records
- Sustainability Building & Land Use Building Permits & Codes Request an Inspection Code Compliance Septic Systems Planning and Zoning GIS Maps GIS Data Links to Other Maps
- Roads and Utility Services Road closures and delays Request road maintenance Access utility bills Public Transportation Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Sheriff's Office Sheriff's Message Volunteer Opportunities What's Happening Emergency Services Current Information Emergency Alert System Disaster and Hazard Preparedness Search and Rescue Child Support Collection
- Jail Inmate Rosters Inmate Services Criminal prosecution Victim Services Court Calendar Juvenile Services Supervision and accountability Detention Teen Court
- Parole and Probation Mission and programs Sex offender notification Law Enforcement Report a crime Daily activity log Concealed Handgun Licenses Justice System Improvement Program
Health & Family
- COVID-19 Information Public Health Communicable disease reporting Mental Health and Addictions Peer specialists Gambling prevention Tobacco prevention Children and youth programs Adult programs Substance Use Disorder
- Food and Water Safety Restaurants Temporary Food Service Well Testing Septic Systems Community Health Centers Find a physician Dental services Family Planning Developmental Diversity (Disabilities) OSU Extension
- Maternal and Child Health WIC Healthy baby programs Licenses and Certificates Birth Certificates Death Certificates Dog License Marriage License Pay My Medical Bill Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Board of Commissioners BOC Meetings Advisory Committees County Legal Counsel Meeting Agendas and Minutes Licenses and Passports Marriage Licenses Passports Dog Licenses
- Voting Elections & Voting Register to Vote Updates & Absentee Voting Elections Put a measure on the ballot Run for office Precinct maps County News Newsletter News & Announcements Subscribe
- Departments County office locations Department List OSU Extension Business in Benton County County Budget See county RFP opportunities Economic Development Veteran Services
I Want To...
- Work for Benton County Apply for a job Volunteer Pay property taxes online View a tax statement Apply for … Marriage license Dog license Passport Building permit Septic permit Restaurant licenses Find Requests for Proposals
- Vote Elections & Voting Register to vote Updates & Absentee Voting Find an event View county calendar View fairgrounds calendar Make a … Medical/Dental appointment Mental health appointment Medical Bill Payment Locate a county office
- Find out about … County Budget Current road conditions Adopt-a-Road Program No Spray Program Veteran Services See who's in jail Report a crime Reserve a facility County park picnic facility Benton Oaks RV park Salmonberry campground Fairgrounds facility Ride a Bus
The on-site sewage disposal program is designed to provide sewage treatment and disposal for homes and businesses not served by a community sewer system. The purpose of the program is to protect ground and surface water from sewage contamination and to protect the health of the population by properly treating and disposing of human waste.
Septic Sewage Permits
To apply for a septic sewage permit in Benton County, download and complete the on-site Septic Application (PDF). We also have a list of Local Licensed Installers (PDF) and DEQ Approved Licensed Installers who have provided us with their contact information. Please note, we do not recommend or endorse anyone on the list.
Obtain Site Approval and an Installation Permit for New Lot Developments
Site Approval – Before you can begin building your home, an approved area for both an initial and a replacement septic system will need to be identified on your parcel. The site approval will detail the type of system required for your parcel, its location, known setbacks to the system, and requirements that you will have to meet before a permit can be issued to install the system.
When you fill out your on-site sewage disposal system application packet, make sure that you fill out all information required for a site feasibility study. An incomplete application will delay the process.
Line Up an Installer – If you haven't done so already, we recommend that you secure the services of a licensed septic system installer. The sooner you start working with the installer, the better. Your plans may be delayed if you wait until the last minute. A list of local licensed installers and consultants is included with the application packet.
Installation Permit – When you are ready to begin installation of the system, you must first apply for an installation permit. You'll need to use an additional application packet. The installation permit must be issued prior to beginning construction of the system. The permit is specific for your parcel and your building proposal.
Certificate of Satisfactory Completion – This certificate will be issued only after all of the permit requirements have been met. This is your OK to start using your system.
Process Check List
- Site feasibility application packet obtained
- Installer lined up
- Site feasibility application completed and returned to Benton County Development Department
- Test holes dug
- Environmental Health notified that test holes are ready
- In winter months, appointment made with Environmental Health to look at test holes
- Site approval issued by Environmental Health
- Permit application packet obtained
- Permit application completed and returned
- Installation permit issued by Environmental Health
- Installer's packet given to installer
- System installed
- Pre-cover inspection by Environmental Health completed
- System covered and soil graded
- Certificate of satisfactory completion issued by Environmental Health office
You may now flush the toilet.
For additional questions regarding your on-site sewage disposal system, call Benton County Environmental Health at 541-766-6841.