The Historic Register
Benton County's Register of Historic Resources currently lists 53 properties noted for their historic significance. Among these unique resources are dwellings, farmsteads, churches, barns, cemeteries, and covered bridges. Several properties on the County Register have achieved the additional recognition of listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
A few of Benton County's historic resources are described below.
Frantz-Dunn House, Hoskins, Oregon, ca. 1869
The Frantz-Dunn House was built on the remnants of Ft. Hoskins (1856). The Frantz family purchased the decommissioned fort site in 1866 and proceeded to construct a home next to the former military hospital.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and the Benton County Register of Historic Resources in 1993 as an element of the Ft. Hoskins site. The structure is slated to become the interpretive center for the Ft. Hoskins Historic Park. See the Natural Areas & Parks Department Fort Hoskins page.
Frantz-Dunn House, Hoskins, Oregon, October 1997
In September 1997 the house was repainted using original paint colors determined through an analysis of paint layers. The front porch was reconstructed in 2014, restoring historical accuracy.
Built ca. 1908 on the site of the 1870s school house, Bellfountain School is one of only two early 20th century schools still in school use in southern Benton County. Built in the Bungalow style, this school is distinguished by a hipped roof bell tower on its older portion. The gymnasium (1913) is architecturally unique in Benton County. In the 1930s the Bellfountain high school basketball team achieved distinction as the only Class B basketball team in state history to win the Class A state championship – with a team of 8 boys, none over 6 feet tall. “The Giant Killers” is a book and feature film that documents their feat.
Gathering at the Fort Hoskins site, Memorial Day, 1922. This group assembled at the Fort Hoskins site to dedicate a new flag pole. An iBook and Walking Tour of Fort Hoskins (free download) was published in 2015, and is described at the website of the Alliance for Recreation and Natural Areas.
Hanson Home, ca. 1928
Placed on the Benton County Register of Historic Resources in 1989, the Hanson farm was established by J.A. Hanson, a pre-eminent poultry breeder, and member of the Oregon Poultry Hall of Fame. The estate operated for many years as a prosperous poultry breeding ranch. It operates now as a bed & breakfast, the Hanson Country Inn.
KOAC transmitter building, 1941
Located on the Oregon State College experimental farm at Granger (about seven miles north of its campus) on U.S. Highway 20, this new transmitter house and two new 325-foot radio towers (in rear) were required for KOAC to increase the station power from 1000 to 5000 watts. KOAC has been broadcasting continuously since 1923, and details of its history can be found at the website of OSU Special Collections & Archives.
Caption text courtesy of the OSU Archives, P57:708
Soap Creek School, ca. 1935
The Soap Creek School is typical of one-room facilities and features a covered entry porch, central bell tower, and boys' and girls' cloak rooms on either side of the entry. Some of the building elements, notably window casings, appear older than the 1930s and suggest that they were reused from an earlier building. After closure, the building stood empty for 26 years until dedicated valley residents reclaimed it in 1972. In 1993, Soap Creek School was enrolled in the National Register of Historic Places. Operated by a non-profit foundation, the school and grounds are available for public gatherings. www.soapcreekschoolhouse.org/
Residence of W.S. Woodcock, Corvallis, ca. 1885. The Woodcock House was located on the southwest corner of 5th and Jackson Streets in Corvallis until 1975, when it was moved to its present location northeast of the city.
[From David Fagan, History of Benton County, Oregon, 1885.]
Other Benton County Historic Resources
|PROPERTY NAME||PERIOD||ARCHITECTURAL STYLE|
|Albert Zierolf Farm||1880-1900||Farming, Queen Anne|
|Augustus Buckingham House||c. 1894||Queen Anne Farmhouse|
|Bellfountain School & Gym||1900-1925||Education|
|Cabell Barn #2||1920-1921||Farming|
|Cabell Lodge||c. 1912||Colonial|
|CCC Research Station||1925-1940||Government|
|CCC Sign Shop||1925-1940||Government|
|CCC Warehouse and Monument||1925-1940||Government|
|Chambers - Miller Farm Group||1860-1880||Gothic Revival|
|Charles King House||1860-1880||Rural Gothic|
|Currier - Thompson House||1900-1925||Prairie Style Farmhouse|
|Edwin and Anna Starr House||1900-1925||Oregon Rustic|
|Farely Kirkham House||1900-1925||Mixed|
|George Cooper House||1880-1900||Gothic Vern. Farmhouse|
|Hanson House & Incubator||c. 1928||Dutch Colonial Revival|
|Harris Covered Bridge||c. 1929||Transportation|
|Hayden Covered Bridge||c. 1918||Transportation|
|Hugo Neuman Winery||1925-1940||Horticulture|
|Hull-Oakes Lumber Company||c. 1939||Sawmill|
|Irish Bend Covered Bridge||c. 1954||Transportation|
|Irwin - Cheadle Barn||1880-1900||Rural Gothic|
|Isaac King Barn||c. 1850s||Agriculture: 19th Century|
|James Watson House||1845-1860||Classical Revival|
|John Feichter House and Garage||1845-1860||Classic Revival|
|Kings Valley Cemetery||c. 1850||Cemetery|
|Kings Valley Evang. Church||1880-1900||Religion|
|Louis Anthony Barn||1900-1925||20th Century Architecture|
|Mark & Grace Rickard House||1925-1940||20th Century Architecture|
|Mary Barclay House||1860s||Queen Anne|
|Marys River Bridge||1900-1925||Transportation|
|Mc Bee House (moved)||1880-1900||Vernacular with Queen Anne and Gothic|
|Monroe Cemetery||c. 1850||Cemetery|
|Moody - Aldergrove School||1900-1925||Education Vernacular|
|Mountain View Grange||1900-1925||Fraternal|
|Mt. Union Cemetery||1861||Cemetery|
|Oakridge Cemetery||c. 1880||Cemetery|
|Peter Rickard Farm||c. 1890||Queen Anne / Eastlake|
|Plunkett House & Barn||1860-1880||Gothic Vernacular|
|Post - Strout House||1880-1900||Rural gothic, Gothic, Vernacular|
|Rycraft House||1900-1925||Craftsman/Queen Anne|
|Samuel Frantz House||1860-1880||Gothic Revival|
|Samuel Whiteside Farm||1880-1900||Gothic Revival|
|Slate/Hayden House and Granary||1880-1900||Gothic Revival|
|Soap Creek School||c. 1929||School|
|Summit Store||1880-1900||Service Distribution|
|Taylor - Davis House||1900-1925||Oregon Rustic|
|Wentz House||1880-1900||Queen Anne Cottage|
|Wren Cemetery||c. 1850||Cemetery|
|Wren Community Hall||1925-1940||Recreation|