Land & Roads
- Natural Areas & Parks Picnic Facility Reservations Locate a park or natural area Find a trail, take a hike Conserving our native habitat Salmonberry Campground Property Information Search Property tax accounts Search for a deed Pay taxes online Appeal property taxes Find property on a map Survey your property Property tax records
- Sustainability Building & Land Use Building Permits & Codes Request an Inspection Code Compliance Septic Systems Planning and Zoning GIS Maps GIS Data Links to Other Maps
- Roads and Utility Services Road closures and delays Request road maintenance Access utility bills Public Transportation Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Sheriff's Office Sheriff's Message Volunteer Opportunities What's Happening Emergency Services Current Information Emergency Alert System Disaster and Hazard Preparedness Search and Rescue Child Support Collection
- Jail Inmate Rosters Inmate Services Criminal prosecution Victim Services Court Calendar Juvenile Services Supervision and accountability Detention Teen Court
- Parole and Probation Mission and programs Sex offender notification Law Enforcement Report a crime Daily activity log Concealed Handgun Licenses Justice System Improvement Program
Health & Family
- COVID-19 Information Public Health Communicable disease reporting Mental Health and Addictions Peer specialists Gambling prevention Tobacco prevention Children and youth programs Adult programs Substance Use Disorder
- Food and Water Safety Restaurants Temporary Food Service Well Testing Septic Systems Community Health Centers Find a physician Dental services Family Planning Developmental Diversity (Disabilities) OSU Extension
- Maternal and Child Health WIC Healthy baby programs Licenses and Certificates Birth Certificates Death Certificates Dog License Marriage License Pay My Medical Bill Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Board of Commissioners BOC Meetings Advisory Committees County Legal Counsel Meeting Agendas and Minutes Licenses and Passports Marriage Licenses Passports Dog Licenses
- Voting Elections & Voting Register to Vote Updates & Absentee Voting Elections Put a measure on the ballot Run for office Precinct maps County News Newsletter News & Announcements Subscribe
- Departments County office locations Department List OSU Extension Business in Benton County County Budget See county RFP opportunities Economic Development Veteran Services
I Want To...
- Work for Benton County Apply for a job Volunteer Pay property taxes online View a tax statement Apply for … Marriage license Dog license Passport Building permit Septic permit Restaurant licenses Find Requests for Proposals
- Vote Elections & Voting Register to vote Updates & Absentee Voting Find an event View county calendar View fairgrounds calendar Make a … Medical/Dental appointment Mental health appointment Medical Bill Payment Locate a county office
- Find out about … County Budget Current road conditions Adopt-a-Road Program No Spray Program Veteran Services See who's in jail Report a crime Reserve a facility County park picnic facility Benton Oaks RV park Salmonberry campground Fairgrounds facility Ride a Bus
Prairie Species Habitat Conservation Plan – Nelson’s Checkermallow
Nelson’s checkermallow was listed as threatened under the federal Endangered Species Act in 1993. The species is also listed as threatened by the state of Oregon. A recovery plan for the species was finalized in 1998 (see more information), and critical habitat is likely to be designated in late 2006.
Nelson’s checkermallow is a perennial forb, and a member of the mallow family (Malvaceae). The species has pinkish-purplish flowers clustered at the end of 2-4 ft tall stems. Nelson’s checker-mallow reproduces both by seeds (typically mature in August) and vegetative rhizomes.
Nelson’s checkermallow (Sidalcea nelsoniana) can be easily confused with other checkermallow species. Dwarf checkermallow (Sidalcea virgata) and Meadow checkermallow (Sidalcea campestris) are common in the Willamette Valley, and can be found in similar habitat. Nelson’s checkermallow can best be differentiated from the other checkermallows during flowering; flowers of Nelson’s checkermallow are typically smaller and more tightly clustered than flowers of dwarf checkermallow, and dwarf checkermallow tends to occur in drier, more upland habitats than Nelson's checkermallow. Meadow checkermallow flowers tend to be larger and paler pink than Nelson's checkermallow flowers.
Range and Habitat
This species typically occurs in wet prairies of the Willamette Valley, the northern Coast Range and southwest Washington. It can also be found along roadsides, in wetlands, and along streams through meadows.
Remaining populations of Nelson's checkermallow are at risk from:
- Further habitat loss or fragmentation
- Invasion of prairie habitats by non-native species
- Encroachment of trees and shrubs into prairie habitats
- Elimination of natural disturbance regimes