Land & Roads
- Natural Areas & Parks Picnic Facility Reservations Locate a park or natural area Find a trail, take a hike Conserving our native habitat Salmonberry Campground Property Information Search Property tax accounts Search for a deed Pay taxes online Appeal property taxes Find property on a map Survey your property Property tax records
- Sustainability Building & Land Use Building Permits & Codes Request an Inspection Code Compliance Septic Systems Planning and Zoning GIS Maps GIS Data Links to Other Maps
- Roads and Utility Services Road closures and delays Request road maintenance Access utility bills Public Transportation Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Sheriff's Office Sheriff's Message Volunteer Opportunities What's Happening Emergency Services Current Information Emergency Alert System Disaster and Hazard Preparedness Search and Rescue Child Support Collection
- Jail Inmate Rosters Inmate Services Criminal prosecution Victim Services Court Calendar Juvenile Services Supervision and accountability Detention Teen Court
- Parole and Probation Mission and programs Sex offender notification Law Enforcement Report a crime Daily activity log Concealed Handgun Licenses Justice System Improvement Program
Health & Family
- COVID-19 Information Public Health Communicable disease reporting Mental Health and Addictions Peer specialists Gambling prevention Tobacco prevention Children and youth programs Adult programs Substance Use Disorder
- Food and Water Safety Restaurants Temporary Food Service Well Testing Septic Systems Community Health Centers Find a physician Dental services Family Planning Developmental Diversity (Disabilities) OSU Extension
- Maternal and Child Health WIC Healthy baby programs Licenses and Certificates Birth Certificates Death Certificates Dog License Marriage License Pay My Medical Bill Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Board of Commissioners BOC Meetings Advisory Committees County Legal Counsel Meeting Agendas and Minutes Licenses and Passports Marriage Licenses Passports Dog Licenses
- Voting Elections & Voting Register to Vote Updates & Absentee Voting Elections Put a measure on the ballot Run for office Precinct maps County News Newsletter News & Announcements Subscribe
- Departments County office locations Department List OSU Extension Business in Benton County County Budget See county RFP opportunities Economic Development Veteran Services
I Want To...
- Work for Benton County Apply for a job Volunteer Pay property taxes online View a tax statement Apply for … Marriage license Dog license Passport Building permit Septic permit Restaurant licenses Find Requests for Proposals
- Vote Elections & Voting Register to vote Updates & Absentee Voting Find an event View county calendar View fairgrounds calendar Make a … Medical/Dental appointment Mental health appointment Medical Bill Payment Locate a county office
- Find out about … County Budget Current road conditions Adopt-a-Road Program No Spray Program Veteran Services See who's in jail Report a crime Reserve a facility County park picnic facility Benton Oaks RV park Salmonberry campground Fairgrounds facility Ride a Bus
Applications for Permits
This information relates to descriptions on what constitutes maintenance and what constitutes construction and when permits and fees are required.
***In all cases, all property owners/contractors must contact Benton County Public Works to see if a permit is required for work completed within the right-of-way***
A Contractor or property owner should not make the determination of need of permit on their own.
Except where stated differently (but the Department must be contacted in all cases), construction items will require a permit and fee and maintenance items will not require a permit.
In general, the following constitutes construction in our professional opinion :
- Adding/Replacement of asphalt (including work to the base)
- Adding/Replacement of curbs or sidewalk
- Adding ditches or sewers (including realigning)
- Adding/Replacement of lighting or other appurtenances
- Addition/Replacement of trees, landscaping, and fences
- Addition or widening of shoulders
- Addition/Replacement of culverts
In general, the following constitutes maintenance in our professional opinion :
- Fog Seal or Crack Seal of an asphalt pavement
- Sealant on curbs or sidewalk
- Cleaning of or minor reshaping of ditches
- Cleaning of sewers
- Replacement of wires, ballasts, or bulbs in street lights
- Trimming of trees / Mowing of the right-of-way (* A permit will be required; however, no fee will be charged. The contractor/property owner must prove there are no threated and endangered species)
- Regrading of gravel roads or shoulders including addition of gravel (but no right-of-way/geometry changes)
Gravel Road Work
Maintenance : No width change, addition and grading of lost gravel, Filling of potholes
Construction : Change in base, width, geometry of roadway
Maintenance : Filling of potholes, crack sealing, or fog sealing
Construction : Resurface of any kind with solids in the product (chip seal, asphalt, etc), Widening, Base work, etc
1. All permitted work will be completed per County standards. Those standards may be codified or may be general policies that have been used for years without public documentation.
2. Just because an item is considered construction does not mean the County will permit it if it is against code or policy or could cause a negative effect in our professional opinion.
Return to Engineering web page