CHL Proof of Competence
Oregon law requires that, in order to hold a Concealed Handgun License, you must demonstrate competence with a handgun. Oregon Revised Statute 166.291 provides that you may demonstrate competence with a handgun by any one of the following:
- Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
- Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
- Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course.
A number of local businesses offer firearms safety courses that meet this requirement and can be found through an internet search. Additionally, the Oregon State Sheriff’s Association (OSSA) has created an online class that meets this requirement. You can access that course by clicking here: OSSA Oregon CHL Course
The Benton County Sheriff's Office cannot recommend one course over any other.