Land & Roads
- Natural Areas & Parks Picnic Facility Reservations Locate a park or natural area Find a trail, take a hike Conserving our native habitat Salmonberry Campground Property Information Search Property tax accounts Search for a deed Pay taxes online Appeal property taxes Find property on a map Survey your property Property tax records
- Sustainability Building & Land Use Building Permits & Codes Request an Inspection Code Compliance Septic Systems Planning and Zoning GIS Maps GIS Data Links to Other Maps
- Roads and Utility Services Road closures and delays Request road maintenance Access utility bills Public Transportation Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Sheriff's Office Sheriff's Message Volunteer Opportunities What's Happening Emergency Services Current Information Emergency Alert System Disaster and Hazard Preparedness Search and Rescue Child Support Collection
- Jail Inmate Rosters Inmate Services Criminal prosecution Victim Services Court Calendar Juvenile Services Supervision and accountability Detention Teen Court
- Parole and Probation Mission and programs Sex offender notification Law Enforcement Report a crime Daily activity log Concealed Handgun Licenses Justice System Improvement Program
Health & Family
- COVID-19 Information Public Health Communicable disease reporting Mental Health and Addictions Peer specialists Gambling prevention Tobacco prevention Children and youth programs Adult programs Substance Use Disorder
- Food and Water Safety Restaurants Temporary Food Service Well Testing Septic Systems Community Health Centers Find a physician Dental services Family Planning Developmental Diversity (Disabilities) OSU Extension
- Maternal and Child Health WIC Healthy baby programs Licenses and Certificates Birth Certificates Death Certificates Dog License Marriage License Pay My Medical Bill Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Board of Commissioners BOC Meetings Advisory Committees County Legal Counsel Meeting Agendas and Minutes Licenses and Passports Marriage Licenses Passports Dog Licenses
- Voting Elections & Voting Register to Vote Updates & Absentee Voting Elections Put a measure on the ballot Run for office Precinct maps County News Newsletter News & Announcements Subscribe
- Departments County office locations Department List OSU Extension Business in Benton County County Budget See county RFP opportunities Economic Development Veteran Services
I Want To...
- Work for Benton County Apply for a job Volunteer Pay property taxes online View a tax statement Apply for … Marriage license Dog license Passport Building permit Septic permit Restaurant licenses Find Requests for Proposals
- Vote Elections & Voting Register to vote Updates & Absentee Voting Find an event View county calendar View fairgrounds calendar Make a … Medical/Dental appointment Mental health appointment Medical Bill Payment Locate a county office
- Find out about … County Budget Current road conditions Adopt-a-Road Program No Spray Program Veteran Services See who's in jail Report a crime Reserve a facility County park picnic facility Benton Oaks RV park Salmonberry campground Fairgrounds facility Ride a Bus
Jail Bed Rentals
The Benton County Jail does not have enough capacity to hold all offenders who have been ordered to be held in custody. To address this, we rent 40 jail beds in other facilities.
For many years, the Sheriff's Office contracted with Linn, Lincoln, and Yamhill counties for those rental beds. In 2017, in an effort to cut costs while offering offenders more services, we entered into a contract with NORCOR - the Northern Oregon Regional Correctional Facility.
NORCOR is a regional jail facility in Wasco County which offers jail bed rentals at a price per bed day that is very cost effective. It has the added advantage of offering adult in custody (AIC) treatment programs such as substance abuse, parenting classes, and anger management programs.
However, the move to NORCOR was not without controversy. Although NORCOR has video conferencing capabilities, it is 180 miles away and some defense attorneys felt it was too far away to effectively work with their clients. In a 2017 court ruling, pretrial AICs are required to be housed locally when there are jail beds available.
The judge added in his ruling that pretrial detainees can waive their rights to be housed locally if they would prefer to be taken to NORCOR. Some ACIs have chosen this option so that they can receive programming unavailable in our local jail.
To manage overcrowding, Benton County Jail staff regularly juggle AICs between the Benton County Jail and our contract beds. In 2018 Transport Deputies traveled over 45,000 miles and transported just under 1,000 inmates.
A complicated decision-making process is used to determine which AICs to transport. Considerations include where beds are available, whether the AIC is pretrial or sentenced, the length of stay, nature of the AIC’s crime, impending court appearances, and many other factors.
The Jail Bed Rental Program is paid for through a public option levy. First approved by voters in 2000, it has been regularly renewed, most recently in 2021. The cost of this rental program to Benton County taxpayers is nearly $1 million per year.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow